Rise and Shine Rando #1
Tue, Jan 12 - Fri, Jan 15
This RACE is ON
Join us for race #1 of uphill challenges. Things are looking a little different this year; we are going virtual. The new format will give you Tuesday - Friday to complete the race and to upload your time to Strava. At the end, we will send out prizes to the winners. Races begin in Mountain Goat Plaza at 10,780’ with twists and turns along the way, finishing in the base area.
PLEASE NOTE: This race can only be completed during open uphill access hours before and after operational hours. (Before 8:30 a.m. or after 4:00 p.m.) Courses will not be marked so please pay attention to the course map before starting.
What A-Basin will do
- Create the segment
- Verify the racers ski/skin
- Compile results by category
- Award prizes to top 3 in each category
What the participant will do
- Register at Arapahoebasin.com
- Have a STRAVA profile (free versions available) and be familiar with how to use it.
- Ski the segment accurately and in the permissible timeframe (during non-chairlift operating times)
- E-mail your result to WhitneyH@a-basin.net
- Scroll to the bottom for more information on Strava
$15 for one race
This course is TWO laps top to bottom. The skin will start in the base area. Make your way up High Noon past Black Mountain Lodge, up Dercum’s Gulch to Lenawee Face to Patrol Headquarters. From there, deskin and head back down Lenawee Face to Dercums Gulch to High Noon. Once in the base area, do it again! This course has approximately 3,240 vertical feet of elevation gain and is 6.25 miles.
PLEASE NOTE THIS COURSE IS NOT MARKED!
Please make your time count on the way UP, not the way DOWN.
Patrol services are not available outside operating hours.
|20||Martin le Roux||1:37:05|
- All guests will have four days to complete the race, Tuesday - Friday
- You can complete during uphill access hours (before 8:30 a.m. or after 4:00 p.m) each day
- This event is for humans only and no dogs will be allowed on the hill during the race. Please leave your dogs at home or with a friend in the base area.
- All winter events are NON-REFUNDABLE and will go on snow or shine!
All racers will need a STRAVA user profile. If you don’t have a Strava account already, we suggest getting one and becoming familiar with it. There is a free version.
There are two ways to use Strava:
- Download the App to your phone.
- Make sure GPS is enabled
- Make sure your phone is charged and Battery Saving Mode is OFF
- Hit Record, then hit Start
- A Skiing start is necessary for accurate timing. Be sure to hit “Record” and “Start” before you go past the Start Segment Sign. And, conversely, ski past the Finish Segment sign before you hit “Stop”>”Finish”>”Save” (this terminology is Strava specific. We recognize that those skiing with GPS head units have different steps and lingo)
- Strava will recognize the portion of your ski that matches our Strava Segment and we’ll take it from there.
Use a GPS unit from a company such as Garmin, Suunto, Polar:
- Ski the segment
- Upload to Strava after your Ski
- Strava will match your Ski to our Segment and we’ll take it from there
LIVE SEGMENTS for PRE-RUNNING and DURING EVENT Starred Segments
- If you “Star” the segment the App will alert you as you're getting close to the start of the segment.
- This can be very useful for PRE-Skiing before the course gets marked.
- There is a star next to every segment you look up in your dashboard. Simply click that Star.
- Approaching a segment: You will hear an audible cue (a chime) if enabled, and see a notification when approaching a starred or popular segment.
- Starting a segment: You will see your current progress on a map, but will not see comparison metrics (PR or KOM/QOM/CR)
- Completing a segment: When you complete the segment, you will be shown your final performance results and will be transitioned back into the normal recording experience.
- Approaching a segment: When approaching a starred or popular segment, you will be transitioned from your recording screen to a Live Segment notification. You will hear an audible cue (if enabled) and see the segment name and your position relative to that segment.
- Starting a segment: When you pass into a segment, you’ll be shown a bird’s eye view where you can follow your avatar as well as the avatars for your PR (if one exists for this segment) and KOM/QOM/CR progress.
- Completing the segment: When you complete the segment, you will be shown your final performance results and will be transitioned back into the normal recording experience.