Slush N' Spokes
Sat, May 13
A downhill, human-powered bike race on snow.
Imagine staring down High Noon (a blue ski run) with 59 of your newest friends, about to Le-Mans start a bicycle race. You pick up your ride, throw a leg over, and you're off - elbow to elbow in the slush trying to make the first sweeping right hander. You hesitantly let off the brakes and start to gain speed. You're cruising, feeling good, but still need to make up more time so you let off even more. You're now maxed out, having the time of your life, fully pinned to the bottom. You see a natural feature and think to yourself - boost the roller and smile for the camera. This is Slush N' Spokes - the long-awaited return of bikes on snow at A-Basin.
There are a few rules to keep everyone safe and the stoke high. PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THESE BEFORE YOU SIGN UP. Advanced registration is required.
- Bring your bike of choice - Fat, DH, trail, whatever. Just make sure it has 2 rubber tires, no ice spikes, and is fully human powered (no e-bikes).
- Please be advised that the bike you choose to bring will likely be transported via CAT basket. We will do our best to protect your bikes, but Arapahoe Basin and SCoMBA are not liable for damage to your bike.
- Helmet is required. Other protective gear is recommended and encouraged.
- Open to ages 12 and up. Male, female and however else you might identify. All are welcome! There is one category for all.
- No cancelations or refunds
Your bike will be transported via snowcat basket. You get two laps. The first lap is a practice lap with 19 other folks to feel out the course and your bike. Second lap is your time to shine! The race utilizes a 60-person mass start. Le-Mans style, run to your bike, hop on and send it to the bottom for bevvies with the crew. There will be live music, beer tents, and awards in the base area.
Fun costumes are 100% encouraged. Not quite your thing? Check out our summer mountain bike trails. Those should open late June or early July.
12:00 - 7:00pm: Live music in Base Area - House with a Yard; DJ Jacoby
3:00pm - 4:00pm: Participants sign-in in Guest Services
4:30pm - 6:30pm: Race
7:15pm: Awards in Mountain Goat Plaza
Shuttling your bike to the start
One beer included
Prizes for winning racers
Arapahoe Basin is proud to be partnering with the Summit County Mountain Bike Alliance, SCoMBA, and with VNTRbirds for this event.