A-Basin 101: Mountain Facts
Sep 21, 2023
Sep 22, 2023
Sep 23, 2023
SKI The Legend: STATS + MOUNTAIN INFO
Elevation, challenging terrain, and traditions set Arapahoe Basin apart. A-Basin skis like a big mountain, but the base area is a small, friendly place. Our guests and employees continue to create a vibe of inclusion, challenge, fun, and camaraderie. And at this elevation, the snow is the best anywhere.
Arapahoe Basin Ski Area opened in 1946 with one tow rope and a $1.25 lift ticket. We now offer more than 1,400 acres, nine lifts, the longest ski and ride season in Colorado, and some of the highest terrain in North America.
We are legendary for being true to ourselves, embracing a rich history, promoting a come-as-you-are vibe, and being vocal about our commitment to our environment and local community.
A-Basin is a pure skier’s and snowboarder’s mountain and welcomes anyone and everyone. Enjoy some of Colorado’s most adventurous in-bounds terrain, delicious food, uncrowded runs, free parking, easy access, and the friendliest staff in the business.
A-Basin by the Numbers
Open for winter October to June, conditions dependent (longest season in Colorado)
- Average snowfall: 350 in / 889 cm
- Base elevation: 10,520 feet / 3,206 meters
- Summit elevation: 13,050 feet / 3,978 meters (3rd highest ski-area peak elevation in North America)
- Snowmaking acres: 125
- Earliest opening: October 9, 2009
- Latest closing: August 10, 1995
- Number of times open for skiing on the 4th of July: 7 (most recently in 2019)
- Number of trails: 147
- Vertical drop: 2,530 feet (771 meters)
- Acres: 1,428
- EASIEST (GREEN): 7%
- MORE DIFFICULT (BLUE): 20%
- MOST DIFFICULT (BLACK): 49%
- EXTREME (DOUBLE-BLACK): 24%
- Freestyle terrain parks: Treeline Terrain Park (intermediate to advanced); High Divide Terrain Park (beginner to intermediate); Banana Park (beginner to intermediate)
Lifts open at 8:30 a.m. weekends/holidays and 9:00 a.m. weekdays, and close between 3:15-4:00 p.m.
- One high-speed six-pack (Lenawee Express)
- Two high-speed quads (Black Mountain Express, Molly Hogan)
- Two fixed-grip quads (Zuma, Beavers)
- One fixed-grip double (Pallavicini)
- Two conveyor lifts (Molly & Pika Place carpets)
- One surface lift (Lazy J Tow)
- Total lift capacity: 11,300 people per hour
- LIFT TICKETS ARE ONLY SOLD ONLINE. PLEASE PURCHASE IN ADVANCE.
Amenities + Facilities
Our base area is compact and simple to navigate. Everything is walking distance from your car and the lifts.
- 5 dining options (operating dates and hours vary) – 2 in the base area and 3 on-mountain
- Ski & snowboard rental shop
- Tune shop
- Arapahoe Sports retail store
- Ski & snowboard lessons
- Kids Center
- First Aid (behind the Kids Center)
- Season Pass Office + ticket windows + ticket printing kiosks
- Bathrooms, lockers, and water bottle filling stations
- Brown-bag lunch areas (2nd floor of the A-Frame and Black Mountain Lodge, only)
- We do not have on-site lodging but we do have options for you to explore nearby.