Are you ready to take your skiing or snowboarding skills to the next level? Look no further than Arapahoe Basin Ski Area in Summit County, Colorado — home to a diverse set of terrain parks with a progressive layout to build your skills. Whether you're a seasoned pro or just starting out, there's something for everyone at A-Basin's terrain parks. In this ultimate guide, we'll take you through everything you need to know to make the most of your terrain park experience at Arapahoe Basin.
What Makes Arapahoe Basin's Terrain Parks Special?
Arapahoe Basin, or A-Basin as it's commonly known, is renowned for its challenging terrain and breathtaking views. Nestled high in the Rocky Mountains, the ski area boasts a unique combination of high-alpine bowls, steep chutes, and wide-open groomers. Before hitting the cliffs up on the East Wall or Steep Gullies, try getting aerial on our lower mountain at our terrain parks first.
Learning & Progression
At Arapahoe Basin, you'll find a variety of terrain parks catering to different skill levels and riding styles. Start small and build your confidence across our different parks, which are built for different skill and ability levels. Whether you're into big air jumps, technical rail features, or creative jib setups, one of our parks is calling your name.
Terrain Parks at A-Basin
Here are some of the main terrain parks you can expect to find at A-Basin:
- Banana Park: This is our early and late-season park, located at the top of the main front side lift adjacent to Black Mountain Lodge, and usually has 2-3 small features.
- Treeline Terrain Park: Located off the Lenawee Lift, Treeline is A-Basin's flagship terrain park. It features a mix of jumps, rails, and boxes for intermediate and advanced riders. It lives on its legendary role as the highest terrain park in North America.
- Moonwalk Terrain Park: Located on the skier’s left of Sundance, Moonwalk is a small progression line with four features.
- High Divide Terrain Park: This is our beginner-friendly park just below mid-mountain, accessed via Black Mountain Express.
- Molly’s Magical Park: Our baby park is for kids in the learning area. It offers three features for little groms: a wave pool, flat box, and baby booter.
Upcycled Park Features
Many of the features in our parks are built with recycled materials from the rest of the ski area as a part of our goal to be carbon neutral by 2025. Upcycling helps us with waste diversion and gives these materials a second life.
Safety Tips for Riding A-Basin's Terrain Parks
Now that you know what A-Basin's terrain parks have to offer, here are some tips to help you make the most of your park riding experience:
- If you're new to terrain parks, start with the smaller features and work your way up as you gain confidence and skill.
- Before hitting any feature, take some time to watch others ride it. Pay attention to their speed, approach, and technique.
- Don't feel pressured to attempt tricks or features that are beyond your skill level. Progress gradually and focus on mastering the basics first.
- Always follow the park rules and etiquette. This includes waiting your turn, not cutting in line, and respecting the features and other riders.
- Terrain park riding can be exhilarating, but it also comes with risks. Always wear a helmet and other appropriate safety gear, and be mindful of your surroundings.
The National Ski Areas Association and Burton Snowboards would like to welcome you to the "Park Smart" Terrain Park Safety Initiative. Park Smart is the evolution of the original Smart Style program. A cooperative effort with the help of the Professional Ski Instructors of America (PSIA) and the American Association of Snowboard Instructors (AASI) and National Ski Patrol (NSP) that emphasizes the proper use of terrain parks while delivering a unified message.
- Start small - work your way up. Build your skills.
- Make a plan - every feature. Every time.
- Always look - before you drop.
- Respect - the features and other users.
- Take it easy - know your limits. Land on your feet.
After a long day at the park, pop into the 6th Alley for some apres with great food, award-winning Bloody Marys, and often local bands and DJs playing live music.
Arapahoe Basin Ski Area is a paradise for terrain park enthusiasts, offering a wide range of parks catering to all skill levels. Whether you're looking to progress your skills or simply have fun, A-Basin's terrain parks have something for everyone. So grab your gear, head to the mountains, and get ready for an unforgettable park riding experience at Arapahoe Basin.